News

Transient man arrested for alleged sexual assault of teenager in Sudden Valley

Transient man arrested for alleged sexual assault of teenager in Sudden Valley

Photo: Saga Communications/Dave Walker


BELLINGHAM, WA (MyBellinghamNow.com) – A transient Bellingham man who is accused of sexually assaulting a teenager is now in custody.

Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Deb Slater says they received a report on May 21 that a 15-year-old girl had been raped in Sudden Valley two weeks earlier.

The victim said she met a man on social media earlier that month who said he could give her alcohol, and they made plans to go on a hike into the woods on May 6 when the assault occurred.

The victim said she did not know the suspect’s name but gave detectives a photo of him and details of his social media account.

Detectives later identified the suspect as 24-year-old John Rodgers on June 2, who was recognized as a former Whatcom County Jail inmate.

Data from a search warrant on Rodgers’ social media account revealed that he was aware that the victim was underaged and confirmed the dates and times of the incident as was reported. Surveillance video also showed Rodgers stealing two bottles of liquor from a grocery store on the same day as the alleged incident.

Rodgers was found at a homeless shelter in Bellingham on Monday, July 1, where he was arrested for rape, theft, offering alcohol to a minor and communicating with a minor for immoral purposes.

He remains at the Whatcom County Jail without bail.

Latest Headlines

3 hours ago in Entertainment

Rami Malek explores art, love and death in Ira Sachs’ Cannes entry ‘The Man I Love’

In Ira Sachs' 1980s-set drama "The Man I Love," Rami Malek finds the most well-tailored role since his Oscar-winning portrayal of Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody."

20 hours ago in Entertainment

As ‘The Boys’ ends, actors reveal their craziest stunts and what’s next for Vought

After five seasons of death, depravity and digs at the capitalistic superhero-industrial complex, "The Boys" dropped its series finale Wednesday.

1 day ago in Entertainment

Stephen Colbert’s long goodbye is coming to an end, leaving a void

On his very first time hosting "The Late Show" back in 2015, Stephen Colbert ripped into Donald Trump while gorging on Oreos, likening his inability to resist the cookies to his inability to resist going after the then-presidential candidate.